Local Link – Terms & Conditions
All Students taking part in Local Link must agree to these Terms & Conditions
- I understand that through Local Link I will be connected with a local host who will invite me (and any other students they are hosting) to meet with them. Meetings may involve being invited into the home of my host as their guest (but only when local social distancing guidelines allow it). Alternative ways to connect might involve meeting in a café or local park or online via video call or messaging app.
- I understand that Local Link is designed to be an experience that will be enriching for both hosts and students. Hosts and students should never feel coerced or forced into being part of Local Link.
- I understand that Local Link is strictly for international students who are over the age of eighteen (18), but other than that we welcome students regardless of race, gender, age, class, sexual identity, religion, and physical ability.
- I understand that I am welcome to suggest friends or family members (even if they are not international students or over the age of eighteen) to accompany me when meeting my host, but I must ask my host beforehand to check that it’s okay.
- I understand that if at any stage a host or student wants to withdraw from being part of the Hosting Scheme they are free to do so, and should inform their local Friends International representative as soon as possible.
- I understand that all Local Link hosts are offering hospitality voluntarily and are not expecting any payment of any kind in return.
- I understand that when I accept an invitation, I am making a commitment, and that I must inform my host as soon as possible if I have to break this commitment.
- I understand that I must contact my host very soon after receiving my invitation, and that, if meeting in person, I must discuss my travel plans with my host and any concerns that I have about social distancing guidelines including meeting indoors or eating food together.
- I understand that in the UK it is normal (when local social distancing guidelines allow it) for people to shake hands when they first meet, and they may give each other a brief hug when they say goodbye. Currently social distancing guidelines do not allow physical contact between different households, but if and when they do I can choose whether or not I wish to do this and my host will respect my choice.
- I understand that after the visit it is polite to express my appreciation to my hosts by saying “thank you”. I can choose to give a small gift if I would like to, but that will not be expected.
- I understand that I will be asked for feedback after a visit, and that Friends International will value my comments and feedback.
Respecting My Host
- I will respect my host(s), including, but not limited to, their cultural, political, and religious points of view.
- I will treat my host’s house and belongings with dignity and respect.
- I will not force my religious, political, or cultural points of view on my host(s); and they have been asked not to force their religious, political, or cultural points of view on me.